Bits + Blooms: Entrepreneurial Inspiration for the #Girlboss in All of UsJanuary 5, 2017
At Alice's Table we're all about empowering women to take the leap and start their own businesses. There are so many women out there looking for flexibility, a creative outlet, or the chance to be their own boss, and it's our mission to make those dreams a reality through our event host program.
As fellow #girlbosses (and one #momboss), we are constantly looking for entrepreneurial inspiration in our own lives -- to help us stay creative, stay motivated, and keep dreaming big. Below are some of our favorite reads from around the web. Enjoy!
1. The "How I Built This" podcast from NPR is what commuting dreams are made of. Every episode details a different entrepreneur or gamechanger's story -- from Joe Gebbia of Air BnB to Jim Koch of Sam Adams to Cathy Hughes of Radio One. Each story will have you on the edge of your seat wondering how they get through challenge after challenge, and you'll learn some great business lessons along the way. We especially love the episode from Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx and the world's youngest self-made female billionaire. Who knew control-top pantyhose could be so interesting?
2. Last spring, Oh,Joy! did a series on changing careers in your 30s. They share the stories of two staffers -- a former lawyer and former reality TV producer -- who quit their jobs to follow their creative passions (and work at Oh, Joy!). So many women want to leave their desk jobs behind for something more creative or rewarding, but taking the chance on yourself (and abandoning a career path) only gets harder as you get older. Cheers to these women for going for it, and inspiring the rest of us to do the same!
3. Hey Mama, a new community that connects mom entrepreneurs and influencers with one another, just ran a great post about "13 Moms Who Crushed it in 2016." Including the likes of Lauren Bush Lauren, Ali Webb and Rebecca Minkoff, these badass mamas are sure to inspire you with their creativity and dedication to changing the world.
4. One secret to being a #girlboss - stop hating Mondays! When you do what you love, the Sunday scaries don't hit quite as hard. But whether you're living the dream, or dreaming about how you'll escape your current job, there are a few tips that can help change your Sunday night mindset from stressed to ready to impress. The Everygirl shares them here.
5. And last but not least, our very own Alice Rossiter shares her advice for starting your own business. As an entrepreneur herself, as well as someone who is constantly helping other women start their own businesses, she's seen it all. Among her pearls of wisdom, "If you don't like your business idea enough to clean toilets, don't take the leap." There's not task too big or too small when you're the CEO of a new startup!